Frequently Asked Questions

Resident Doctors of BC is available to answer any questions you may have about residency and the resources available to you; including:

Have a Different Question?

Contact us!

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)


Your Message

Don’t see your question in any of the above sections? Use the contact form to connect with us, or email



For full details on your benefits plan read the benefits section.

  • Where can I find information on my benefits?

    Benefits are administered by Health Shared Services BC (HSSBC)[in the process of changing their name to BC Clinical and Support Services (BCCSS) Society]; Extended Health and Dental are provided through Pacific Blue Cross. Full details can be found in the Group Benefits Plan, which includes Group Life, Accidental Death and Dismemberment, and Dental and Extended Health. Benefits begin after one month of employment (August 1st for those who start on July 1st).

    The Employer, as per Article 15, pays the premiums for the BC Medical Services Plan (MSP). Coverage begins 1 month after enrollment (August 1st, if you begin residency on July 1st). MSP coverage for residents who are new to BC can take up to three months due to a mandatory waiting period.

    All necessary forms are provided in the Resident Appointment Package, and processed by HSSBC/BCCSS. To update your information, such as change of address or dependents, or to inquire about the status of your benefits please contact HSSBC/BCCSS.

    Phone: 1-866-875-5306
    Fax: 604-297-9316
    Mail: 1795 Willingdon Avenue, Burnaby, BC, V5C 6E3

  • Where is my benefits card and how do I find my group number?

    Group benefits cards are provided by Health Shared Services BC (HSSBC)[in the process of changing their name to BC Clinical and Support Services (BCCSS) Society]. The group benefit cards are mailed to you (at the address provided in your application) after the paperwork is processed. If you have not received your benefits card within two months of your start date, please contact HSSBC/BCCSS to ensure your paperwork is in order, and your contact information is correct.

    Group benefit numbers are provided in your appointment package.

    Once the mandatory waiting period has ended, you will receive a letter from MSP to the address provided in your paperwork with a confirmation of your enrollment and instructions to visit an ICBC Diver’s Licensing Office in order to obtain a photo BC Services Card (this can also be combined with your BC Driver’s License). Please contact HSSBC/BCCSS to follow-up if you have not received anything from MSP.

    Phone: 1-866-875-5306
    Fax: 604-297-9316
    Mail: 1795 Willingdon Avenue, Burnaby, BC, V5C 6E3

  • How do I file a Claim?

    Benefits are provided by Pacific Blue Cross. Claims can be made online through CARESnet or by phone or mail

    To file a claim you will need your group health or dental number, and your ID number from your benefits card. If you do not have these numbers please contact Health Shared Services BC (HSSBC)[in the process of changing their name to BC Clinical and Support Services (BCCSS) Society] to obtain them. Their hours are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.

    Address: 1795 Willingdon Avenue, Burnaby, BC, V5C 6E3
    Phone: 604-297-8683
    Fax: 604-297-9316

  • Do I have Medical Travel Insurance?

    Under the resident Group Benefit Plan, residents are covered for Out-of-Province and Out-of-Country emergencies. This means that non-emergencies, such as visits to walk-in clinics, are not covered. Pacific Blue Cross (the insurer) also collaborates with Medi-Assist, a 24/7 medical travel assistance line.

    Pacific Blue Cross will need to be informed during emergencies while outside of BC, please ensure that you have your member information or Pacific Blue Cross card. You can also print out a copy of your card on Pacific Blue Cross’ online system, CARESnet.


Call Stipends

For definitions and details on Call Stipends please visit Call Stipends.

  • Why didn't I get a confirmation email?

    The Call Stipend website does not automatically send confirmation emails. You will need to opt-in in to receive an email. Click “Send me a confirmation” at the bottom of the page. In addition, make sure that the personal information you enter (name, email, phone number, and employee number) matches the information registered in the system (i.e. the information used to submit your very first call). Deviations or errors will withhold your confirmation. If you want to make changes or update your personal information, please contact us.

    A confirmation page is displayed after each successful submission, please print or screenshot these confirmations for your records.

  • My program doesn't provide a schedule, what should I upload?

    An uploaded call schedule is mandatory; if your program does not provide you with a schedule, please create your own with the dates and hours of your calls in a Word or Excel document, or take a screenshot of your electronic calendar. Please also include the contact information of a supervisor with whom we can verify the schedule, if necessary. Call schedules need to be uploaded at least once per block. If your schedule changes throughout the block, you are sick, or take a call shift for another resident, please upload a new schedule to reflect these changes, and make a note in the comments section of the form.

  • How do I change a submission or add a schedule after submitting?

    Resident Doctors of BC cannot adjust your entries, you will need to resubmit. Please submit a new call form and include a note about the error in the comment section; we will accept your most recent submission as accurate.

  • I was paid less than expected; I may have made an error. How do I correct this?

    Email Resident Doctors of BC with your employee ID number and a copy of your confirmation email for the call in question as soon as you can; the sooner you contact us the more likely we will be able to correct it.



  • Do I have to Purchase CMPA?

    Professional liability insurance, provided by the Canadian Medical Protective Association, is mandatory under the Collective Agreement in order to protect both residents and patients. Residents are required to purchase their own CMPA coverage as per Article 18.02. It provides comprehensive coverage and is tax deductible. The cost of coverage is based on the type of work.



    Type of Work

    Annual Cost

    Monthly Cost


    Residents who are registered in a program of postgraduate training recognized by the CFPC or the RCPSC, or a provincial or territorial medical regulatory authority.International medical graduates in a program to obtain a license for independent practice also use this code. This code includes extra resident shifts, but will not include CMPA assistance in medico-legal difficulties arising from independent practice of medicine outside the program whether remunerated or not. No moonlighting. Clinical fellows who moonlight must select the appropriate practicing physician code, not code 14. $2,112.00 $176.00


    Clinical fellows and physicians pursuing a structured university affiliated program not recognized by the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC) or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC), or a provincial/territorial medical regulatory authority, with a maximum of 36 months. This code includes extra resident shifts, but will not include CMPA assistance in medico-legal difficulties arising from independent practice of medicine outside the program whether remunerated or not. No moonlighting. Clinical fellows who moonlight must select the appropriate practicing physician code, not code 14. $2,112.00 $176.00


    Residents who are registered in a program of postgraduate training recognized by the CFPC or the RCPSC, or a provincial or territorial medical regulatory authority. This code will include eligibility for CMPA assistance in medico-legal difficulties arising from independent practice of medicine outside of the program whether remunerated or not. With moonlighting. Residents who moonlight must hold licensure or registration acceptable to the regulatory authority (College) in the moonlighting jurisdiction. Residents who limit their clinical activities to moonlighting (e.g. locum) for more than two consecutive weeks must change to a practicing physician code. $1,728.00 $144.00

    *These costs are current to 2016.

  • Do I need Disability Insurance?

    Both LTD and CMPA are mandatory as part of your contract, so it is your responsibility as a resident to ensure you purchase it at the beginning of your residency. We have negotiated comprehensive LTD plans with two companies that we feel provide residents with suitable coverage during residency and after graduation. However, residents are free to select any provider for their LTD coverage.

    Resident Doctors of BC has also negotiated for a $1,000 lump sum payment as of the 2014/2015 year that is paid to R1s and R2s at the end of the year for Professional Expenses Benefit. This is to help cover some of these costs.


Compassionate Leave

  • What if I need more than three days off?

    As per Article 7 of the Collective Agreement, residents are entitled to three (3) days compassionate leave, with an additional two (2) days for travel that can be taken at the same time as the compassionate leave. If you are too unwell to return to work following compassionate leave, you can review the following options for additional leave:

    • You could use your flex days. As per Article 19.05, residents are entitled to two (2) paid days off per Academic Year. If you haven’t already used these days, you can submit a request to your program to use one or two flex days for the additional time you need off.
    • You can consider taking sick leave. You must contact your program to request leave and documentation from your physician stating a recommendation for your leave based on a medical inability to continue training will be required. Sick leave must be requested from your program. When you are ready to return to work you will again need documentation from your doctor. As with any leave this may increase the amount of time it takes to complete your residency.
    • You may also consider requesting an unpaid leave of absence from your program. This leave must be requested from your program. Choosing to take an unpaid leave of absence may increase the amount of time it takes to complete your residency. See Article 12 of the Collective Agreement for more information on unpaid leave and the UBC policy on leave (page 42 of the Procedures Manual).

    Residents also have access to two assistance lines. Both of these organizations offer 24-hour toll free numbers and initial free counseling and confidential services to you and your family.

    Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP): 1-800-505-4929

    Physicians Health Program (PHP): 1-800-663-6729


Grievances & Arbitration

If you are experiencing a residency issue that you feel may be a grievance, please do not hesitate to contact Resident Doctors of BC.

  • What is a grievance?

    A grievance is when there is a disagreement between the resident(s) and the Employer, or Resident Doctors of BC and the Employer, concerning the interpretation, application or operation of the Collective Agreement; or if there is a violation of the Collective Agreement.

    If this occurs, then the Grievance procedure as outlined in Article 3 of the Collective Agreement is pursued.

    Should you wish to pursue a grievance, or notify Resident Doctors of BC of a Collective Agreement violation, please complete this form.

    Grievance Procedure

    The resident will continue to preform his/her duties until the grievance is settled.

    Resident Doctors of BC will look into the complaint prior to contacting the Health Authority of the hospital/facility in which the violation occurred to ensure that a speedy resolution can be pursued. As complaints may be the result of a lack of awareness rather than deliberate violation; Resident Doctors of BC will discretely contact the program to remind them of the rules and regulations of the issue in question; residents will remain anonymous.

    All correspondence will be copied and sent to HEABC.

    After notifying Resident Doctors of BC the resolution mechanism is as follows:

    Stage One

    Within 14 calendar days (two weeks) of the occurrence, or 14 calendar days of the resident becoming aware of the matter, Resident Doctors of BC will write the Employer regarding the grievance. A meeting with the Employer and Resident Doctors of BC will then happen within 21 calendar days (three weeks) following the written notice. A written reply will be provided to Resident Doctors of BC.

    If a settlement is NOT reached then:

    Stage Two

    Within 21 calendar days (three weeks) of the written reply from Stage 1, Resident Doctors of BC will again submit the written grievance to the Employer. The matter will be discussed between Resident Doctors of BC and the Employer.

    If, after Stage 2, a settlement is still not reached the process moves to arbitration.

  • What is arbitration?

    When disputes cannot be settled through the grievance process they are submitted to an arbitrator, which is a neutral third party, for a final and binding decision. For more information review Article 4 of the current Collective Agreement.


Meal Stipends

  • How do meal stipends work?

    Meal Allowances for July will be retroactively paid on Friday, September 30th to those residents eligible for working on-site/on-call. Resident who are scheduled to work on-site one or more in-hospital overnight, converted overnight, weekend day or evening call shifts will be eligible for a monthly payment of $81.78

    Residents do not need to enter any additional information. Meal eligibility is pulled from your on-call submissions submitted on

    August payments are estimated to be paid in November due to August falling over Block 2 and Block 3, therefore we must wait until the Block 3 deadline passes to submit August meal reports to payroll.

    Questions regarding meal stipends prior to July 2016 can be directed to the PGME Office.

    **Please note that residents are still responsible for self-reporting their statutory holiday payments via RMS. 



  • Can I moonlight?

    There is no policy prohibiting residents from moonlighting, provided they meet the eligibility criteria for the necessary license. The UBC Moonlighting Policy sets out the following principles:

    1. Moonlighting must not be coercive. Residents must not be required by their residency program to engage in moonlighting.
    2. The moonlighting workload must not interfere with the ability of the resident to achieve the educational goals and objectives of the residency program.
      1. All program directors have an obligation to monitor resident performance to assure that factors such as resident fatigue from any cause are not contributing to diminished learning or performance or detracting from patient safety.
      2. Program directors should bring to the attention of all residents any factors which appear to detrimentally affect the performance of the resident.
      3. To facilitate this, the program director must be informed when a resident chooses to moonlight, on any service or unit that is part of the training program.
    3. Moonlighting must not occur on the same unit or service to which residents are currently assigned, or to which they will be assigned in the future. Residents are eligible to moonlight on services that they have been previously evaluated on.
    4. As residents primary obligations are to their training programs, they are not permitted to moonlight during work hours including on-call periods that are defined by the program.
    5. Confirmation of licensing, credentialing and appropriate liability coverage is the responsibility of the employer.

    The UBC policy on moonlighting is on page 28 of the Policy and Procedures Manual

    Moonlighting is allowed only if a resident has applied for the Clinical Associate License, or if they have been issued a General (unrestricted) License. In order to be eligible for the Clinical Associate License, residents must:

    • be enrolled in a Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC) specialty postgraduate training program at the University of British Columbia
    • have successfully completed a minimum of 24 months postgraduate training
    • have obtained the Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada (LMCC) certificate
    • carry the required professional liability coverage or protection
    • have health authority authorization
    • have UBC program director authorization

    For more information on the application process, please click here



For more information on parenting during residency, check the parenting section.

  • What leave is available to me?

    Maternity Leave (Birth Mothers)

    Residents are granted 52 consecutive weeks of unpaid maternity leave; weeks 1-17 are “Maternity Leave,” and the remaining are “Parental Leave.” The earliest that you can take your leave is eleven (11) weeks prior to the week of the predicted delivery. The latest date to take maternity leave is the actual date of birth. You can begin collecting EI benefits eight (8) weeks prior to the expected delivery date. While on leave your extended health benefits continue as if you were not absent.

    Parental Leave (Fathers & Adoptive Parents)

    Residents can apply for up to 37 consecutive weeks off within the first 52 weeks following the birth (4 weeks notice required) or placement (proof of adoption required) of the child. While on leave, your benefits will continue as if you were not absent.

    Leave to Attend Birth

    Two paid days of leave will be provided to a resident to attend the birth of his/her child. This clause does not apply to the birth mother.

  • What will I be paid while on leave?

    Parental and Adoption Leave are unpaid leaves, but residents may be eligible for federal Employment Insurance (EI) benefits.

    To be eligible for EI you are required to have worked for 600 hours in the last 52 weeks or since your last claim. The basic benefit rate is 55% of your average insured earnings up to a yearly maximum insurable amount of $49,500. This means you can receive a maximum payment of $524 per week (as of 2015).

    While on parental leave the amount you can earn while working part-time and receiving EI benefits is $50 or 25% ($131) of weekly benefits, whichever is greater.

    Your EI payment is a taxable income, meaning federal and provincial taxes will be deducted.

    Maternity Leave (weeks 1 – 17) is paid at 85% of you salary through the Supplement Employment Benefits Plan. The first two weeks are paid by the Employer to cover the mandatory 2 week waiting period for EI benefits; the remaining weeks are paid through a combination of EI and the Employer. For example if you qualify for EI, the Employer will top-up your EI benefits to total 85% of your regular salary; if you do not qualify, the Employer will pay the full 85%.

    For a detailed explanation of EI benefits and examples, please visit the parenting section.

  • Will I still receive medical/extended health benefits while on leave?

    Your benefits while on maternity/parental leave continue as if you were working; you continue to pay your 10% of the extended health plan.

  • I had/adopted a child during the year before starting residency; do I qualify for maternity/parental leave?

    Maternity leave must commence no later than actual birth date of the baby; therefore, if you had a baby before the start of residency, you would not be eligible for maternity leave. However, you may be eligible for up to 35 weeks of unpaid parental leave, if the baby was born within the last 52 weeks.



  • How much should I be paid?

    Residents are paid in accordance with their program level. The current remuneration schedule is listed in Article 21 of the Collective Agreement.

    Residents working on-site on-call (according to the schedule submitted by your program to payroll) are also eligible for meal allowances as listed in Article 20 of the Collective Agreement.

    Residents are paid $100 per In-Hospital Call or Conversion, and $50 per Out-of-Hospital, Weekend Day or Evening Call within the defined maximums. For more information see the Call Stipends page.

    Furthermore, residents on-call who are called back can claim reimbursements for specific expenses through their program.

    Lastly chief residents receive additional pay based on the number of residents in their program, and the number of chiefs completing the additional administrative work.

    Resident who work on a Statutory Holiday are entitled to additional pay, as per Article 11 of the Collective Agreement.

    See a detailed example of pay
  • What is on my paystub?
    image of resident pay stub
    1. Pay date – Payment deposit date
    2. Deposit Statement Number and cheque number
    3. Employee Information – Your name and home address (if incorrect please update with this HSSBC/BCCSS)
    4. Department Information – Department name and code, or cost center of employment
    5. Net Pay – Gross pay minus deductions (Income Tax + CPP + EI + Total Deductions)
    6. Employee ID Number – Please keep your ID number for reference when contacting payroll
    7. Pay period ending date
    8. Earnings type – e.g. regular pay, on call, meal allowance, chief allowances etc.) Hourly rate and number of earned hours in the pay period. An asterisk (*) indicates a prior pay period adjustment
    9. Gross Pay – Earned hours x hourly rate (as a salaried employee this number is an administrative function)
    10. Summary of deduction – Both current and year-to-date (YTD) totals are shown. These deductions include union dues and cost sharing benefits premiums. Only T4 related year to date values will be carried over from your previous pay statement. An asterisk (*) indicates before tax deductions.
    11. Summary of Benefits – Current YTD total shown for MSP, Dental, Extended Health, Life and Accidental Dsimemberment and Death (ADD). An asterisk (*) indicates a taxable benefit.
    12. Gross Pay – Current and YTD totals shown. This is your total pay before deductions and the sum of your earnings listed in #8
    13. Statutory Deductions – Deductions for income tax, Canadian Pension Plan (CPP), and Employment Insurance (EI). Only Current and YTD shown.
    14. Total Deductions – Sum of current deductions listed in #10
    15. Union Dues – Total YTD deducted shown
    16. Taxable Benefits – Total YTD taxable benefits paid on your behalf shown.
  • Can I opt out of my dues?

    Union dues are mandatory. Resident Doctors of BC is funded solely by its members’ dues, which enables us to negotiate and enforce the collective agreement. Dues are automatically deducted from your pay. These dues are tax deductable and the annual amount is noted on your T4.

  • How do meal allowances work?

    Meal Allowances are paid approximately every second pay period. Meal allowances will not be paid on July 24, or August 7 due to the beginning of the new academic year and payroll collecting data from programs.

    Residents who perform call, will see their first meal allowance pay on August 21st – home program administrators/directors advise payroll if a resident will be doing call for the year by reviewing rotation schedules. If a resident does not receive meal allowance pay, they must contact their home program administrator.

    Meals on a weekday will consist of breakfast and dinner; on weekends or holidays meals will be breakfast, lunch and dinner.

    Breakfast $3.60
    Lunch $3.60
    Dinner $6.00
    = $13.20 (weekend/Holiday)
    = $9.60 (weekday)



If there is an issue with your scheduling, or you feel it violates the Collective Agreement, please contact Resident Doctors of BC.

  • What are the rules for Stats, Vacations and Flex days?

    Statutory Holidays

    Residents receive a paid day off (at their normal rate) on or before statutory holidays. Stat holidays start at 12:01am on the day of the holiday and end a full 24-hours later.

    Statutory holidays are:

    • New Years Day
    • Family Day
    • Good Friday
    • Easter Monday
    • Victoria Day
    • Canada Day
    • BC Day
    • Labour Day
    • Thanksgiving Day
    • Remembrance Day
    • Christmas Day
    • Boxing Day

    If a stat is during a resident’s vacation, regularly scheduled day off, or while on-call, the resident is entitled to an alternate day off (to mutually agreed upon by the resident and their program) without loss of pay.

    Christmas/New Years Break

    Residents are entitled to five consecutive days off within the period in which Christmas, New Years and two full weekends occur. The five days account for Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day, plus two weekend days. As a result of the consecutive days off, residents working on Christmas Day, for example, will not receive a lieu day, but will still receive 2.5 times their normal pay rate.


    Pay for statutory holidays for part-time employees is determined by the following calculation:

    Days paid per calendar year x Regular pay x eleven (11) / 261

    Residents with an appointment of less than one year or who work part-time can calculate their vacations with this formula:

    Days paid to June 30th inclusive x 20 /261

    *The days paid are calculated based on Monday to Friday, weekends are not counted.

    What if I do not celebrate those Holidays?

    A Resident who is a practitioner of a recognized faith that does not celebrate Good Friday, Easter Monday, and/or Christmas Day, may designate an alternate paid holiday as a replacement, which shall not be unreasonably withheld, subject to the discretion of the Program Director and the following provisions:

    • Any such day must be identified, explained and declared by the resident by July 15th of each program year in order to be considered.
    • Should a resident designate alternate paid holidays no premium pay shall be paid for working on the stat that was substituted (ie: a Resident that replaced the Christmas stat for Rosh Hashanah, if they work on Christmas Day, they do not receive 2.5 their normal rate; it is considered a normal day of service for them.)

    When a resident works a declared alternate holiday they will be paid double (2x) their normal rate should it replace Easter Monday and will receive a paid day off; if the day replaces Good Friday and/or Christmas they shall receive double and one-half (2.5x) their normal pay and an additional day off with pay.

    If the declared alternate is within a resident’s vacation or time off they shall receive an additional day off with pay at a later time of mutual agreement

    If a resident designates an alternate to Christmas, they are not entitled to take the five consecutive days that are given during the Christmas period at the time of their appointed holiday. However, if service requirements can be met, considerations will be made to provide the resident with five consecutive days off during the 12-day period of Christmas and New Years.

    Flex Days

    Residents receive two flex paid days off per academic year. These are not paid out and do not carry over into the next academic year. The scheduling of flex days is at the agreement of the resident with their Program Director.

    Vacation Leave

    Residents are entitled to 20 working days vacation. This equates to four calendar weeks (a week is defined as seven consecutive days)

    Vacation scheduling is determined by the Program Director in accordance with operational and educational requirements. Every effort will be made to permit a Resident at least their third choice for a vacation period. Vacation requests must be made in writing.

    A minimum of two consecutive weeks’ vacation shall be granted to Residents so desiring. A Resident shall not be scheduled for on-call duty on the weekend immediately preceding or immediately following a block of vacation where the block starts on a Monday and continues uninterrupted ending on a Friday.

    If both spouses (including common-law) are residents, subject to operational needs, they are entitled to take their vacation together

  • What are the basic scheduling rules?
    1. Duty assignments must be separated by not less than 8 non-working hours
    2. There shall be at least 2 24-hour periods of scheduled non-working time per 2-week period
    3. Residents shall not work more than 2 consecutive nights on-call in any 7 day period
    4. If while on a shift that is 24-hours or longer and you are unable to obtain 4 uninterrupted consecutive hours for the purpose of rest, then you shall be relieved of duty no later than 10 am, subject to continuity of care. You may only be assigned responsibilities that can be reasonably be completed by 10 am, but you have the discretion to stay for compelling academic or humanistic reasons.
  • How much call should I be doing?
    In-Hospital Overnight
    Out-of-Hospital Overnight
    1 night in 4, with 1 weekend in 4, averaged over the days on service.Days on service are working days minus any days a resident is away for any reason – including vacation and other leaves.If you are expected to be immediately available (within 15 minutes)this is considered in-hospital and must adhere to the averages. 1 night in 3, with 1 weekend in 3, averaged over the days on service.Days on service are working days minus any days a resident is away for any reason – including vacation and other leaves.
    11-14 days = 3 calls15-18 days = 4 calls19 – 22 days = 5 calls23-26 days = 6 calls27 – 29 days = 7 calls – this is maximum for a block30 – 34 days = 8 calls35 – 38 days = 9 calls 11-14 days = 4 calls15-18 days = 6 calls19 – 22 days = 7 calls23-26 days = 8 calls27 – 29 days = 9 calls – this is maximum for a block30 – 34 days = 11 calls35 – 38 days = 12 calls
    The maximum averaging period is 3 months, even if the rotation is longer The maximum averaging period is 3 months, even if the rotation is longer
  • If I am traveling out of town for a rotation do I get an extra day off?

    If you are traveling for a mandatory rotation to a distributed site, you shall receive an unscheduled day between rotations. If more time is required, it will have to be arranged with the program.


Transferring Programs

  • Can I tranfer programs?

    UBC has a procedure in place for residents who wish to transfer programs within UBC.

    The Postgraduate Deans office will support requests for transfers where a resident has completed at least 6 months of training that includes reasonable exposure to both the home program and their intended program (receiving program).

    Only a single transfer will be considered for an individual resident.

    The transferring resident must meet the same criteria as those who successfully matched to the program through CaRMS.

    Transfer requests are considered twice per year in April and November. PGY1s will only be considered after January to ensure 6 months of training.

    The procedure includes the following steps:

    1. Contact the Postgraduate Dean’s Office – The Dean will consider whether the resident meets the criteria for transfer and will confirm if the receiving program will consider a transfer.
    2. The Dean will advise the resident whether they will support the transfer. If it is not supported the resident will be provided the reason.
    3. Contact the Program Director of the receiving program to begin process of determining acceptance to the program. Provide all ITERs and advise if there has been remediation or probation. Additional documentation may be requested.
    4. Transfer requests are confidential, neither the Dean’s office nor the receiving Program Director will contact the current Program Director to discuss the transfer or performance unless authorized by the resident.
    5. If the Program Director determines a resident is not suitable, the Dean and the resident will be informed. This decision is final, and cannot be appealed.
    6. If the transfer is accepted then the resident and Dean will be contacted. The Dean will contact the Program Director of the program the resident is transferring from. The Dean will arrange funding with the Program Directors.
    7. The effective transfer date for transfers accepted in April will be July 1 (or another mutually agreed date), the effective transfer date for those accepted in November will be January 1st (or another mutually agreed date).
    8. The Dean will provide a revised Letter of Appointment

    If you are considering transferring programs, please contact Resident Doctors of BC.


Workplace Injuries

  • I was injured at work, what should I do?

    Any resident injured on the job is covered by WorkSafe BC. This includes needlestick injuries. Any workplace injury should be reported and an Incident Report should be completed regardless of whether or not you seek treatment, or take time off work. That documentation is your protection should the injury recur in the future and you find yourself requiring treatment or medical leave. This is particularly important when needlestick injuries are involved. Residents are to be treated the same as any other employee at the worksite at which the injury occurred.

    Your employer is the facility or Health Authority where your injury occurred. For example, should the injury occur at VGH your employer on the Incident Report is VGH and you should follow the procedures and protocols of VGH. Should the same incident occur at SPH, SPH is the employer and their procedures and protocols are to be followed.

    Residents also need to call the Workplace Health Call Centre (1-866-922-9464), and report the incident with your WorkSafe BC claim number. If you experience a workplace injury and require assistance please contact Resident Doctors of BC.

  • What if I receive a bill after a workplace injury?

    If you do not already have a case open with WorkSafe BC, please contact them to open a case. WorkSafe BC should cover the bill once the claim has been opened and reviewed. Sometimes, for various reasons, WorkSafe BC denies claims. In this case, you should contact your Employer or Health Authority where the injury occurred and they should cover the bill. Please remember to report the injury as soon as possible after the incident occurs as delay in reporting may cause denial of the case and payment. Please contact Resident Doctors of BC if you require any further assistance.