Resident Wellness Month is nearly upon us!
Resident Wellness Month occurs annually every May to help promote the wellbeing of residents, with past Resident Wellness Months including contests and physical events. This year, we continue with last year’s shift to focus on virtual events. We once again thank you, our residents, for your continued dedication to patient care during this time.
The Health & Wellness Committee and RDBC have worked hard to create a Resident Wellness Month you can participate in from the comfort of your own home, with contests and events both occurring throughout the month.
Themed weeks are making their return this year, with a contest and events specific to the theme each week. Every Monday, we will be sending out an email detailing the full details of that week and how you can participate.
To celebrate the coming start of Resident Wellness Month, here is an overview of this month’s events:
MAY 3 – 7: PHYSICAL WELLNESS
- An invite to a virtual Yoga Class held on Wednesday, May 5 has already gone out. Be sure to RSVP and grab a spot if you haven’t yet and join your co-residents for an evening of some relaxing yoga.
- Show us your favourite way to stay physically active. You can do this by tagging us in a post on Instagram or Twitter, DMing us on those platforms, or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Entries must include a photo and a caption. Let us know if we can share your entry publicly on our social media.
- Each entry will receive a virtual $5 gift card to a location of your choice. Please ensure your selection allows for single purchase $5 virtual gift cards, and let us know in your message your selection. Some examples of popular gift cards are Starbucks and Amazon.
- A draw will be held at the end of the week on the Friday, 3 PM PST, from all entries for a virtual $100 gift card to a retailer of your choice. Please ensure your selection allows for single purchase virtual gift cards. Be sure to get your entries in before then!
MAY 10 – 14: SOCIAL ENGAGEMENT
- It’s time to show your appreciation for your co-residents! This week is all about engaging with us and your fellow residents. Returning for another night of fun is Trivia Night with IQ2000 on May 12! Be sure to RSVP as soon as possible and build your team. Can’t wait for a repeat of this event!
- We want to know who out there makes you laugh, supports you, or is just so dang great that they deserve a shout-out. Every day we’ll ask a different question about a resident who makes your residency a little more special, so let us know exactly how they do it.
- If you’re on Instagram, post a Story answering the day’s prompt and tag us and your co-resident every day fitting the theme, letting us know how this co-resident helps you within that day’s theme. Does your co-resident not have an Instagram? No problem. Drop their first name and we’ll get their details from you via DM. Make sure to follow our account if you aren’t yet!
- If you’re on Facebook or Twitter, reply to that day’s themed post tagging a co-resident fitting the theme, letting us know how this co-resident helps you within that day’s theme. Does your co-resident not have one of these social media platforms? No problem. Drop their first name and we’ll get their details from you via DM. Make sure to follow our account if you aren’t yet!
- If you don’t have a social media presence, never fear: simply email us your answer with your co-resident’s full name and let us know how this resident makes your residency better within that day’s theme.
- Both the nominator and the nominee will receive virtual $5 gift card to a location of their choice. As before, please ensure your selection allows for single purchase $5 virtual gift cards, and let us know in your message your selection. Nominees will be contacted for their selection.
- A nominee may receive a gift card and submit their own nomination, but may not submit their original nominator.
You can enter every day to receive a $5 gift card, but you may not nominate a resident you have nominated before.
- To get you thinking, here are the themes for each day during the week. They will be posted in the morning of each day on our social media platforms. Don’t forget that you must let us know how a co-resident fits the theme to qualify!
- Monday: A resident who brightens your day
- Tuesday: A resident who supports you
- Wednesday: A resident who is creative
- Thursday: A resident who motivates you
- Friday: A resident who makes you laugh
- A draw will be held at the end of the week on the Friday, 3 PM PST, from all entries for a $100 Visa gift card. Be sure to get your entries in before then!
MAY 17 – 21: NUTRITION AND SLEEP
- Great food and great sleep go hand-in-hand when it comes to wellness. That’s why we are holding another virtual Cooking Class and two contests this week to allow your cooking skills a chance to shine (or improve, we’re not judging!) as well as the chance to win some nifty things to hopefully help you sleep better. We are happy to bring back a virtual Cooking Class as part of this week. The event will be held on the evening of Wednesday, May 19, cooking delicious New York Style Pizza. Our last Cooking Class was extremely popular, so RSVP your spot before it disappears.
- This week, take the pledge to spend 30 minutes without a screen or studying before bed to improve your sleep quality. Email us with your name and we’ll add you to the list!
- We know that not everyone has the opportunity to turn their phones off or forego their studying–especially not in residency. So, if you’re unable to pledge the above, send us a photo of your sleep environment and how you’ve made it more cozy for better sleep. Is there a humidifier by your bed that helps you get a better sleep? Some lovely cotton or silk pillowcases to make you feel like you’re sleeping on clouds? Have you done something in your call room to ensure you get as great of a sleep as you can? We’d love to know! Send us an email, tag us or DM on Twitter/Instagram, with a photo and a caption. Please let us know if we can share your entry publicly.
- Each entry will receive a virtual $5 gift card to a location of your choice. Please ensure your selection allows for single purchase $5 virtual gift cards, and let us know in your message your selection. You are able to enter both contests.
- Two draws will be held at the end of the week on the Friday, 3 PM PST, from all entries for two options of prizes. Stay tuned!
MAY 25 – 28: MENTAL WELLNESS
- We all know that mental wellness is a vital part of overall wellbeing, and a great little way to boost our mental wellbeing sometimes is to treat ourselves—both physically and mentally. Join Dr. Vo, Head of the UBC Division of Adolescent Health and Medicine, on Wednesday, May 26 for a session on mindfulness. RSVP for this event.
- We are also happy to host the Treat Yourself contest this week, so let us know: what is your favourite way to treat yourself? Tag us in your social media post, email us a photo, or even leave a comment on the week’s social media post. If submitting a photo via email, please be sure to include a caption and let us know if we can share your entry online.
- Each entry will receive a virtual $5 gift card to Dairy Queen for some treat-yourself-ice-cream.
- A draw will be held at the end of the week on the Friday, 3 PM PST, from all entries for a $100 virtual gift card to a restaurant of your choice. Please ensure your selection allows for single purchase virtual gift cards.
- Have a movie night, on us! Settle down at home on the last weekend of May (May 29-30) and grab a pay-per-view movie from the list of top five voted by the membership, as well as some snacks to enjoy. We will be reimbursing up to a maximum total of $15 per household for a movie and any snacks. Proof of purchase will be required for both the movie and the snacks. A movie purchase must be included in your reimbursement form to qualify. Reimbursement directions will come the week of May 25.
- The movies chosen by the membership are:
- Wonder Woman 1984
- Godzilla vs. Kong
- Raya and the Last Dragon
We look forward to having you participate in Resident Wellness Month with us!
If you have any questions about Resident Wellness Month, please send an email to email@example.com.