Starting Residency

Starting Residency

What You Need To Know

Congratulations on matching to BC! We are excited to welcome you to Resident Doctors of BC.

Starting residency can be both exciting and hectic; for many it is your first job. Resident Doctors of BC is committed to make this transition from student to trainee-employee as smooth as possible. The content in this section is to help you familiarize yourself with all that is required to start your first year off on the right foot: Read each item carefully and ensure you have completed your to-do list before July 1st.

  • CMPA

    Canadian Medical Protective Association coverage is mandatory for all residents. It provides comprehensive coverage and is tax deductible. The cost of coverage is based on the type of work and region.

    The Ministry of Health will reimburse category 12 and category 14 CMPA fees via your monthly payroll.

    Long Term Disability is also mandatory as per the Collective Agreement. We have negotiated an employer paid LTD plan residents are automatically enrolled in. However, residents are also free to select any additional provider for their LTD coverage if they wish additional coverage beyond that provided by the employer paid plan.



    Type of Work

    Annual Cost

    Monthly Cost


    Residents & Fellows – No moonlighting – Residents registered in a postgraduate medical education program, international medical graduates registered in a program to obtain a license for independent practice and clinical fellows and physicians pursuing a structured university affiliated program.Includes extra resident shifts, but will not include CMPA assistance in medical-legal difficulties arising from independent practice of medicine outside the program. $2,040.00 – paid by the Ministry of Health $170.00 – paid by the Ministry of Health


    Residents — With moonlighting/restricted registration — extracurricular (outside of a residency training program) practice of medicine by residents registered in a postgraduate medical education program leading to certification with the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC), the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC) or a provincial or territorial medical regulatory authority (College).

    • Will generally include eligibility for CMPA assistance in medical-legal difficulties arising from independent practice of medicine outside of the program whether remunerated or not.
    • Residents who moonlight must hold licensure or registration acceptable to the regulatory authority (College) in the jurisdiction where the moonlighting takes place.
    • Residents who limit their clinical activities to moonlighting (e.g. locum) for more than two consecutive weeks must change to a practising physician code.
    • Clinical fellows who moonlight must select the appropriate practising physician code, not code 14.
    $2,040.00 – paid by the Ministry of Health $170.00 – paid by the Ministry of Health

    *These costs are current to 2020 for the BC fee region.

  • Family Medicine, Rural Rotation Support

    REAP funds UBC Residents enrolled in Specialty Residency and Family Practice Residency Programs who wish to spend elective time in Rural Subsidiary Agreement Communities.

    Please visit the RCCBC site for more information.

  • Family Medicine, Student Loan Forgiveness

    Please visit the Government of Canada site to check your eligibility.

  • Immunizations

    Residents are required to report their immunization status prior to the beginning of training via the Provincial Workplace Health Call Centre (WHCC) using their online self reporting tool using the schedule below:

    Group Location Date to Call
    1 Living in BC prior to April 2018, Surname begins with A to L June 3 to June 9
    2 Living in BC prior to April 2018, Surname begins with M to Z June 10 to June 16
    3 Moved to BC after April 2018, Surname begins with A to L June 17 to June 23
    4 Moved to BC after April 2018, Surname begins with M to Z June 24 to June 30

    You will need to consult your UBC Resident Registration Package or the Occupational Health & Safety website for a list of all vaccine documentation required for WHCC.

    *TB skin tests are done free at Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) or Vancouver Island Health Authority (VIHA) hospitals. Residents are to obtain their free TB skin test at our VCH clinic sites once they have been assessed by the Provincial Workplace Health Call Centre. The PWHCC will provide you with the clinic schedule. Residents who are located in rural areas and are therefore unable to attend a VCH site clinic should contact a Field Service Nurse at to discuss their options. Reimbursement for TB skin tests obtained outside of the free VCH site clinics must be pre-approved by a Field Service Nurse at the email address above.

  • Licensure

    You must apply directly to the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC for your postgraduate license, and pay the annual fee.

    There are four classes of postgraduate license:

    Residents A registrant who is enrolled in postgraduate training in the Faculty of Medicine at UBC.
    Residents – Elective A registrant who is enrolled in postgraduate training in an accredited program outside of British Columbia.
    Fellows A registrant who is pursuing further postgraduate training in his/her specialty or sub-specialty.
    Trainees A registrant who is pursuing further postgraduate training in his/her specialty or sub-specialty but does not meet the requirements for registration as a postgraduate fellow.

    Eligible postgraduate residents who have registered with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC as a “resident clinical associate” are authorized to provide supervised services on an in-patient ward of a clinical academic centre affiliated with the UBC Faculty of Medicine.

  • Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Exam Part I

    UBC encourages all residents to take the MCCQE Part I prior to beginning residency, or to take it as soon as possible. The MCCQE-I is a one-day, computer-based test that assesses the competence of candidates who have obtained their medical degree, for entry into supervised clinical practice in postgraduate training programs.

  • Moving

    If you are moving to BC or within BC for residency don’t forget to update your new address with the following places:


    • Financial institutions
    • Credit cards

    BC Clinical Support Services (BCCSS) – also known as Health Shared Services BC (HSSBC)

    If your address has changed since completing your intake paperwork, please update your address with them to ensure you receive your benefit card and other important documents in a timely manner.

    • Phone: 604-297-8683. Ensure you have your VCH employee # ready
    • Email:
    • Fax: 604-875-7198
    • In Person: Records and Benefits 1st Floor – 1795 Willingdon Avenue Burnaby, BC V5C 6E3
    • Mail: Records and Benefits 1st Floor – 1795 Willingdon Avenue Burnaby, BC V5C 6E3
      • This includes, MSP, Health Dental, LTD and Life Insurance

    Canada Post

    There is an optional service you can purchase to have mail forwarded to your new address in case there is someone you forgot to notify



    • Internet
    • Cable/Satellite
    • Subscriptions (magazines, newspapers etc.)
    • Telephone
      • Home
      • Cellular

    Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA)

    Available online ( or call 1-800-959-8281 — this is important for student loans and taxes.

    *Resident Tip: Save your receipts, as moving expenses can be tax deductible ( Check with the Better Business Bureau before hiring a moving company (


    Drivers License and Insurance (ICBC)

    * Resident Tip: If you update your address online you can update your Medical Services Plan (MSP) at the same time

    • You must switch to a BC license within 90 days of moving.
    • Online:
    • Phone: 1-800-950-1498
      (Monday to Friday 8 a.m. – 7 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
    • In Person: All ICBC locations in B.C.

    Basic auto insurance is mandatory in BC and must be purchased from the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, additional insurance can be purchased from other providers if you choose.

    If you are bringing a vehicle from out of province with you when you move to BC visit to find out about the regulations and insurance requirements.

    • Your vehicle must be insured in BC within 30 days of bringing it to BC and you must switch to a BC drivers license within 90 days.

    Resident Doctors of BC

    • You can update your details under your personal account.



  • Online Courses and Learning Modules

    There are three online courses which all residents are required to complete prior to starting residency:

    • Infection Control Basics
    • Information Privacy and Confidentiality
    • Student Practice Education Core Orientation

    There are additional requirements for some of the Health Authorities that must be completed in advance.

  • Payroll, Health and Benefits Forms

    Payroll and Benefits are administered through Health Shared Services BC (HSSBC) [in the process of changing their name to BC Clinical and Support Services (BCCSS) Society]. Extended Health and Dental are provided through Pacific Blue Cross. Full details can be found in the Group Benefits Plan, which includes Group Life, Accidental Death and Dismemberment, Dental and Extended Health. Benefits begin after one month of employment (August 1st for those who start on July 1st). Your group benefits number is provided in your resident appointment package.

    The Employer as per Article 15 pays the premiums for the BC Medical Services Plan (MSP). Coverage begins 1 month after enrolment (August 1st, if you begin residency on July 1st). MSP coverage for residents who are new to BC can take up to three months due to a mandatory waiting period.

    All necessary forms are provided in the Resident Appointment Package, and processed by HSSBC/BCCSS. To update your information, such as change of address or dependents, or to inquire about the status of your benefits please contact HSSBC/BCCSS:

    Phone: 1-866-875-5306
    Fax: 604-297-9316
    Mail: 1795 Willingdon Avenue, Burnaby, BC, V5C 6E3

  • UBC


    UBC uses a Resident Management System (RMS) to manage the academic and administrative records of all residents; use this system to access Letters of Offer, update your contact information, review your academic records, and self-report any statutory holidays you’ve worked.

    This service and all correspondence with the UBC Postgraduate Medical Education programs or Dean requires a UBC issued email address. This address is where you will receive your offer letter, and you must register before your start date.

    You must also pay your registration fee, through the Student Service Centre (SSC).


    UBC has a single comprehensive manual with all of their policies relating to residency. It is updated periodically throughout the year.