Resident Taxes

Questions & Tips

Taxes can be complicated. Here are some commonly asked questions to help you get started. For article coverage on finances, click here.

Common Questions

  • How do I file an adjustment to claim previous Education Tax credits?

    Please note that if you have already filed an objection with Moody Gartner Tax Law, you must inform them so that you can be removed from the batch file.

    How to File Tax Adjustments for previous years Education tax Credits:

    • Find your notice of assessment for the applicable year(s)
    • You can ask for a change to a return for a tax year ending in any of the 10 previous calendar years. For example, a request made in 2018 must relate to the 2008 or a later tax year to be considered.
    • Complete Form T1-ADJ, T1 Adjustment Request, or a signed letter giving details of your request (including the years of the returns to be changed), your social insurance number, your address, and a telephone number where CRA can call you during the day.
    • All supporting documents for the change (T22O2A), including those for the original assessment, unless you have already sent them.


    How to File an Adjustment Form:

    There are two ways you can file an adjustment to your income tax return:

    1)      By Internet: You can make changes to your income tax return using the online My Account Service from the CRA. Once you are in My Account, you simply click on the Change My Return option and then enter and submit any changes to your most recent income tax return or returns from the previous two years. Once you select Submit, your changes will be sent to the CRA.

    2)      By Mail: You can complete and print a T1-Adjustment form and mail it into the CRA. If you choose to submit your adjustment request via mail you will need to include the receipts or supporting documents for the changes you wish to make & the supporting documents for your original claim (if applicable), in addition to the completed adjustment request.

    Surrey Tax Centre

    9755 King George Blvd.

    Surrey BC V3T 5E1


    What happens next?

    The CRA will review your adjustment request and send you a notice of reassessment once they have completed their review. The Notice of Reassessment will include any changes made to your return and a letter of explanation if they did not accept your change.

  • What's new for taxes in 2018?
    • Working Income Tax Benefits– have been renamed to Canada Workers Benefit, and enhanced starting in the beginning of 2019 and indexed (increased with inflation) afterwards. CRA will automatically determine your eligibility to receive the Canada Workers Benefit and will asses your tax return as if you’ve already claimed it (even if it was not on filing).
    • Service Animals as Medical Expense – service animals can now be claimed as a medical expense, if incurred after 2017.
    • Registered Disability Savings Plan Holders– The measure allowing an immediate family member to act as the planholder of the disabled person’s RDSP, despite not yet being the legal representative, has been extended until the end of 2023.
    • Employment Insurance Premium – has been decreased from 1.66% to 1.62%.
    • Federal and Provincial Tax Brackets – have been increased due to inflation.
    • Maximum Pensioable Earnings & Employee and Employer Contribution Rates – have been increased to $57,400 (former) and to 5.1% (latter).
    • Canada Child Benefit – will be indexed to inflation going forward.
  • What is the last day I can file my taxes?

    April 30, 2019 is the due date for Canadian Taxes.

  • How do I file my income tax return?

    There are a number of ways to file your tax return.

    File Online:

    • Efile – a secure service that lets authorized service providers to complete and file your return for you electronically. For further information go to
    • NetFile – secure service that allows you to file your own return online by using software or a web tax application. For a list of available software and applications, including free ones go to
    • Auto-fill my return – new secure CRA service that allows you or your authorized service provider to electronically request and receive tax information that the CRA has available at the time you are filing your return, to help fill in certain parts of your return. CRA will have most tax information slips and other tax-related information, such as T4, RRSP information and carry forward amounts. For further information go to:

    File by Mail:

    • You can mail your return to a tax center at the address given on your tax forms. For BC residents, the tax center address is:
      • Canada Revenue Agency
        Tax Centre
        9755 King George Boulevard
        Surrey BC V3T 5E6

    Hire an Accountant:

    • You are responsible for providing the accountant with your tax slips and other documentations and he/she will file your taxes for you.
  • What do I include/keep?

    Whether you are filing your return electronically or via mail keep a copy of all supporting documents in a secure location in case you will need to provide them. Keep all supporting documentation (tax slips, receipts etc.) for six years.

  • What deductions can I claim as a resident?

    Deductible expenses include:

    • Union/professional expenses (BCMA/CoPS, CMPA)
    • RRSP
    • Child Care
    • Moving
    • Automobile (if required by employer)
  • What tax credits can I claim as a resident?

    Tax credits include:

    • Tuition
    • T2202A
    • Student loan interest-5 yr CF
    • Donations-5 yr CF
    • Medical expenses
    • Public transit passes

Other Resources

The CRA offers the General Income Tax and Benefit Guide 2018 for more information.

MD Tax posts news and tax tips for residents and physicians.


Vancouver – Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Surrey – Thursday, March 28, 2019