How to Throw the Perfect Halloween-Themed Party
Halloween is quickly creeping up on us (pun intended), and what better way to celebrate the spooky holiday than throwing a party for your closest friends? We have put together a list of tips for you to use for organizing your own Halloween-themed event without scaring your wallet!
Work with classic orange and black colours to give your party a festive look. The dollar store is your friend when it comes to Halloween decorations! Let your imagination run wild – pick up some banners, table cloths, and napkins. Life-sized skeletons and plastic spiders will be sure to get your guests’ attention. Pumpkins, carved or not, are a great addition to both indoor and outdoor décor for your party. If you’re planning to dim the lights in your party space, LED lights or candles are a good addition. Or better yet, why not try a jack-o’-lantern! Throw on some scary tunes for background music (try apps like 8tracks that have pre-made Halloween-party-themed playlists), and voila! Your place is ready for the spooky festivities.
Delicious snacks are arguably the most important part of any party and we have put together some of our favorite recipes to spice up your festivities! Lady fingers are a Halloween staple and these delicious pumpkin spice cookies are sure to be a hit as well. For a healthy twist, put a small piece of celery in the middle of mandarin oranges to make adorable mini-pumpkins. Why not give your guests savoury snack options with these bocconcini eyeballs (use store-made salsa as a time-saver), or this ghost-inspired black bean dip.
For your signature drink, we love this Bloody Orange Cocktail recipe:
- 4 ounces vodka
- 2 ounces Licor43 or amaretto
- 8 ounces Orangina or 1:3 orange juice to club soda
- 2 cups raspberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 orange
- Plastic syringes
- Puree 2 cups of fresh raspberries in a food processor. Press the puree through a fine mesh strainer to extract the pulp, then discard the seeds.
- Place the puree in a small saucepan with ¼ cup of sugar. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring frequently until thick and dark (about 10 minutes) and let cool.
- Fill each syringe with 0.75 ounces of raspberry syrup and set aside.
- Add vodka and Licor43 to a shaker with ice and shake for about 20 seconds. Add Orangina and stir. Pour into ice glasses and place filled syringes into drink. Serve with an orange wedge. Guests will squeeze the contents of the syringe into the drink when it’s time to enjoy.
Don’t forget to ask your party-goers to contribute! If you are pressed for time in planning your party, try your local grocery store for some festive finds. They will be sure to have a variety of Halloween-themed cookies and cupcakes to put the treat in trick or treat.
Halloween-themed games can keep your guests entertained for hours at your party! Horror movie trivia is a fun way for your friends to take a trip down memory lane to the classic scary movies that we all love (think Nightmare on Elm Street, The Exorcist, and The Blair Witch Project). To stick to a movie theme, start a game of charades and have friends get in character to imitate their favorite movie villain. If you have some time to prepare before the party, a Halloween-themed murder mystery is the perfect way to get all of your guests involved in the night’s events!
We hope you enjoy these tips and have an unforgettable Halloween this year!
This article is courtesy of Dr. Tabarsi, Family Medicine PGY-1 in the Surrey-South Fraser Program and member of the Resident Doctors of BC Communications Committee. Follow her on Twitter @Nazleeta