It is a difficult time for the world, and especially so for our frontline healthcare workers. In the midst of everything, it is important to continue caring for yourself. Below is a list of wellness resources compiled by a member of our Health & Wellness Committee, seeking to provide with information on the following:
- Resident wellness support
- Trusted sources of information on COVID-19
- A list of useful apps or websites to use for physical and mental wellness
- Online grocery sites
- Discounts on food and delivery for healthcare workers
We invite you to send us any resources you may be personally using and would like to share with your fellow residents. We will seek to regularly update this page with resources you can make use of during this time.
Thank you, residents, for all that you are doing for the healthcare of BC, and we hope you all remain safe and healthy!
If you have questions about COVID-19 and your residency, including on what to do when working with a confirmed case, visit our FAQ.
- PGME Resident Wellness Office
- Confidential Contact: 604-675-3873
- Schedule an Appointment: 604-875-4111 ext. 21088 or email email@example.com
- Confidential, online support group every Monday and Thursday. Book online, open one week in advance.
From the RWO:
PGME Resident Wellness Office has made the decision to suspend any in-person counselling appointments for the time being. We will resume in-person counselling as quickly as possible, when it is safe to do so. All counselling appointments will be facilitated via telephone or videoconference.
Counsellors will be working varied hours at this time. If you currently have an appointment booked, your counsellor will be in touch with you to reschedule. Please reach out with any further questions.
- CMPA Physician Wellness
- Employee Wellness
- Homewood Health
- Confidential 24h helpline: 1-800-663-1142
- Physician Health Program of BC
- Confidential 24h helpline: 1-800-663-6729
- UBC Medical Student Volunteers: Fill in the following form
- For Children’s & Women’s only – CW Workplace Wellness PEER Support service
- Phone: 604-875-2982 (Dr Theresa Newlove)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (provide best phone number to be reached at and windows of time of day/evening you can be contacted)
- CAMH – Coping with stress and anxiety
- Starling Minds – a Vancouver-based company that is offering free and confidential digital mental health programs for anyone who may need support during the COVID-19 pandemic
Trusted Sources of Information
There’s an App/Website for that!
- DownDog Apps (Yoga, Barre, HIIT) – free until July 1st if you use your UBC email!
- Peloton – 90-day free trial of yoga, strength, cycling, running, and other fitness classes
- Planet Fitness – live-streaming fitness on their Youtube page
- Nike Run and Nike Fitness apps – Free
- Classpass – 1-week free trial. In-app access to audio and video workouts.
- The Workout Today – A free workout emailed to you daily that takes <30 min.
- OrangeTheory At-Home Workouts – Daily 30-minute workouts, free to all!
- Headspace – for meditation (free subscription right now)
- Online Groceries (delivery fees between 8-10$)
- Instacart.ca (T&T, Walmart, Superstore, Shoppers, Loblaws)
- Whole Foods
- Marketplace IGA
- Stongs Market
- Thrifty Foods
- Choices Market
Discount Food, Delivery and Other Services for Health Care Providers
- Fable Diner – offering 40% meals for pick-up when you show your resident ID card
- Circle K – offering free coffee or tea (any size) when you show your resident ID card (until Apr 16)
- A&W – offering free coffee when you show your resident ID card
- Bombay Kitchen & Bar – offering 50% at time of payment for delivery to medical facility or doctors office
- Starbucks – free tall hot or iced brewed coffee for healthcare workers from March 25th to May 3rd.
- Tractor – 601 W Broadway #20 eatery. Grab anything on the menu (up to $15 in value) and take it to-go for free! While supplies last. Open Monday to Friday from 11 am to 6 pm.
- London Drugs – starting March 25th, healthcare workers and First Responders will have exclusive store access 8-9 pm Monday to Saturday, and 7–8 pm Sunday.
- Tim Horton’s is making free coffee deliveries across the country! “Let us know if you’ve got a spot you think should be getting a delivery, be sure to drop a line to THsocial@timhortons.com; you might get the chance to see some free coffee dropped off sometime soon.“
- Autostrada – on Main St (at 30th) it is a small, family-owned and delicious little Italian place. They are offering take-out food at 20% off as well as 50% off bottles of wine. You can call any time after 3:00pm with your order for pick up between 4:30pm and 8:00pm.
- Havana – Havana has deals for healthcare workers that change regularly. Customers are being offered the opportunity to ‘pay it forward’ to health care workers and have started the ‘Suspended Stew’ project. So far over 200+ meals have been provided to front line health care workers and others directly impacted by Covid-19. You can give them a call or send them an Instagram DM if you’re a healthcare worker in need of a hearty meal.
- Nando’s – The Afro-Portuguese chain has pledged several new offerings to help Canadian communities in their fight against the coronavirus pandemic. This includes the following actions (applying specifically to healthcare below) from the company, which will all be effective as of March 26, 2020.
- Bring free hot catered meals to hospitals near every Nando’s in North America, to provide comfort and sustenance to the nurses, doctors, and hospital workers struggling to keep us all safe and well.
- Provide free Nando’s takeout to any nurse, doctor, or healthcare worker who shows up at a Nando’s in uniform or with a valid healthcare ID, or calls to place a to-go order and presents ID at collection. (See BCCH note on leaving scrubs at home if you are at BCCH)
- In addition to these new measures, Nando’s will give its customers and employees the opportunity to pay it forward by purchasing a meal for families, laid-off industry workers, and medical personnel.
- Chipotle has free delivery until March 31 on orders over $10
- KFC has free delivery
- Uber Eats has waved most delivery fees
- Ultramar, Chevron, and Pioneer – 10$ off every fill-up. Minimum 20L puchase. Until April 17th
- Earl’s – 30% off for pick-up only. Locations: Fir & Broadway, Lougheed (East of Boundary), Station Square Burnaby (Westside of Metrotown), Ambleside (North Vancouver), Lansdowne Mall (Richmond)
- Krispy Kreme – Every Monday, free donuts. Go to a drive-thru and show your ID badge.
- Crocs – Every day at 12pm EST, Crocs is giving away free pairs of Crocs. Daily Limit.
- Here is a guide on how to answer difficult questions related to COVID-19, developed by the U of W (link pending).
- Reminder on donning & doffing PPE: https://youtu.be/M1635h1iEHk & https://youtu.be/a-TgbVc61_U
If you have any suggestions for resources, workouts, food, or other wellness options please email email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org or contact our team via social media!
Remember, if you have any questions about your residency during this time, please do not hesitate to contact our office at 604-876-7637 or email us at email@example.com.