Medical & Dental

Benefits are administered by Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA). Extended Health and Dental are provided through Pacific Blue Cross. Full details can be found in the Group Benefits Plan, which includes Group Life, Accidental Death and Dismemberment, Dental and Extended Health. Benefits begin after one month of employment (August 1st for those who start on July 1st). The Employer pays the premiums. If you have not received your benefits card within two months of your start date, please contact PHSA to ensure your paperwork is in order, and your contact information is correct.

PharmaCare is part of this benefit plan, so only drugs covered by Pharmacare are covered by the benefits plan. Search the Pharmacare Formulary for drugs that have been reviewed and are covered.

The Employer pays the premiums for the BC Medical Services Plan (MSP). Coverage begins 1 month after enrolment (August 1st, if you begin residency on July 1st). MSP coverage for residents who are new to BC can take up to three months due to a mandatory waiting period.

Once the mandatory waiting period has ended, you will receive a letter from MSP to the address provided in your paperwork with a confirmation of your enrolment and instructions to visit an ICBC Diver’s Licensing Office in order to obtain a photo BC Services Card (this can also be combined with your BC Driver’s License). Please contact PHSA to follow-up if you have not received anything from MSP.

There is also an employer paid LTD plan residents are automatically enrolled in. However, residents are also free to select any additional provider for their LTD coverage if they wish additional coverage beyond that provided by the employer paid plan.

All necessary forms are provided in the Resident Appointment Package, and processed by PHSA. To update your information, such as change of address or dependents, or to inquire about the status of your benefits please contact PHSA.

Phone: 604-297-8683 (option 1) or 1-866-875-5306 (option 1)

Sick Leave

  • What Sick Leave am I eligible for?

    Residents are entitled to five months of paid sick leave. After this time, residents will transition to Employer-Paid LTD. If you are a resident on leave, you should contact Benefits after three months of leave to begin the LTD process.

    If a resident returns to work prior to using up their full five months of leave, they may use any time remaining before transitioning to LTD.

    Sick Leave can be taken in single day increments for the purpose of medical appointments and treatment.

    Upon returning to work, residents must work 60 days before being eligible for a further five months of leave.

  • If I am on sick leave do my benefits continue?

    Yes, during sick/maternity/parental leave, your benefits are considered continuous. The only time a resident is not eligible for benefits is on an extended unpaid leave.

  • Will Sick Leave extend my residency?

    As with any other leave, you may need to complete rotations that were not completed due to your absence, you are not responsible for doing additional call that would have been done had you not been absent.

  • What if I need additional sick leaves?

    If you return to work prior to using the full allotment of five months, you may take any remaining leave as needed.

    If the additional leave needed is for the same illness that caused you to use your allotment you may be eligible for LTD.

Employer-Paid LTD

  • How much am I eligible for under LTD?

    In the event of disability, the Employer-Paid LTD plan will pay 2/3 or 66.67% of your R-level salary for two years.

  • When am I entitled to LTD?

    Residents are entitled to Employer-Paid LTD after five months of sick leave.

  • When should I contact LTD?

    Residents who have been on sick leave for three months should contact Benefits to begin the LTD claim to ensure that there is no delay in payment.

  • Do I need additional LTD?

    All residents are automatically enrolled into the Employer-paid LTD plan. Residents may choose, however, to purchase additional individual coverage for the duration of their residency to top up the Employer-paid coverage. The decision to purchase additional coverage is entirely individual to the resident based on their needs.

    Some providers provide this additional coverage without underwriting at the start of residency that can then transition to fuller coverage in practice without underwriting.

Workplace Injuries

  • I was injured at work, what should I do?

    Any resident injured on the job is covered by WorkSafe BC. This includes needlestick injuries. Any workplace injury should be reported and an Incident Report should be completed regardless of whether or not you seek treatment, or take time off work. That documentation is your protection should the injury recur in the future and you find yourself requiring treatment or medical leave. This is particularly important when needlestick injuries are involved. Residents are to be treated the same as any other employee at the worksite at which the injury occurred.

    Your employer is the facility or Health Authority where your injury occurred. For example, should the injury occur at VGH your employer on the Incident Report is VGH and you should follow the procedures and protocols of VGH. Should the same incident occur at SPH, SPH is the employer and their procedures and protocols are to be followed.

    Residents also need to call the Workplace Health Call Centre (1-866-922-9464), and report the incident with your WorkSafe BC claim number. If you experience a workplace injury and require assistance please contact Resident Doctors of BC.

  • What if I receive a bill after an injury?

    If you do not already have a case open with WorkSafe BC, please contact them to open a case. WorkSafe BC should cover the bill once the claim has been opened and reviewed. Sometimes, for various reasons, WorkSafe BC denies claims. In this case, you should contact your Employer or Health Authority where the injury occurred and they should cover the bill. Please remember to report the injury as soon as possible after the incident occurs as delay in reporting may cause denial of the case and payment. Please contact Resident Doctors of BC if you require any further assistance.

Wellness Resources

For 24-hour confidential support residents are encouraged to connect with the Employee Wellness (previously EFAP) or the Physician Health Program (PHP). Residents also have access to wellness resources at the UBC Resident Wellness office.

For full details on available supports, visit the wellness page.

If you are searching for a dentist, you can use Find a Dentist.