The 69th World Health Assembly will take place in Geneva between May 23 and May 27, 2016. This meeting is one of the largest health policy setting events, it brings together health ministers and health representatives from the 194 World Health Organization (WHO) member states.
This year for the first time, the Government of Canada is offering the opportunity to one Canadian youth to attend the world health assembly as part of the Canadian delegation and to observe the workings of this specialized agency of the United Nations.
The delegate will be selected by a committee composed of representatives from CFMS, the Canadian Federation of Medical Students, and IFMSA-Québec, the International branch of the Quebec Federation of Medical Students’ Associations.
- Be a Canadian citizen and hold a valid Canadian passport;
- Be between 18 and 30 years of age;
- Be able to attend all preparatory meetings and the entirety of the WHA;
- Be currently a medical trainee (student or resident).
- Motivation letter (completed in the online form)
- Brief C.V.
- Recommendation letter from professional
- Recommendation letter from peer
- Completed application form
Applications will be evaluated based on:
- Past experience in global health
- Involvement in a global health related student network or university program
- Understanding of global health policy and the nature of the work at the WHA
- Quality of application documents and recommendation letters
The application deadline is Tuesday, April 19 at 23:59 EST.
Any application received after the deadline, or any incomplete application will not be considered.
Financial support will be available for the selected candidate: participants will need to pay costs upfront, but, accommodations, and a per diem will be reimbursed after the participation. Flights will be arranged in advance. Details will be provided to the selected candidate.
Finally, the selected candidate may also be given the opportunity to participate in the following two events as members of the Canadian delegation to the:
- Directing Council of the Pan American Health Organization: September 26-30, 2016 (Washington);
- Annual Meeting of the International Association of National Public Health Institutes: October 17-20 (Shanghai).